I’ve made this recipe twice, once with red cabbage and last night using green cabbage. Both are so good! You have to try it! It’s also so simple to do.
Braised Red Cabbage (Chou Rouge BraisÃ©)
* 1 head of red cabbage
* 4 tablespoons butter
* 1 large onion, peeled
* 2 cloves
* 1/2 cup red wine
* 1 cup chicken bouillon
* 2 tablespoons sugar
* bay leaf
* salt and pepper
* 2 apples, diced
Cut the cabbage in four and then cut out the stem. Chop the cabbage finely or use a food processor to shred it.
In a large solid pot (the original French recipe says this is best done in a cast iron pot), melt the butter. Add the cabbage and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Poke the onion with the two cloves and add it to the pot along with the red wine and bouillon. Stir in the sugar and bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Cook covered for 1 h 15 min on low heat, stirring occasionally. Add more water as needed.
Add the apple to the cabbage and cook 15 minutes more. Season to taste. Aim for a good equilibrium between the sweet, salty and acidic flavors of this dish.
Makes 8 servings or more depending on the size of the cabbage.
* For a more acidic flavor you can substitute red wine vinegar for part or all of the wine, and don’t hesitate to use that opened bottle of wine that’s gone a bit off. It would be perfect for this dish.
* For a more substantial dish, fry six ounces of bacon in the butter before you add the cabbage or try adding canned cooked chestnuts to the cabbage and apples at the end of the cooking.
* Try adding other spices and flavors: a 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, orange zest, or 1/3 cup raisins would all work well.
* Feel free to try this recipe with green cabbage and white wine. It will work just as well.
* Many people enjoy a sprinkle of cassonade, or raw sugar, on top of their braised cabbage for a slightly sweeter dish. You could serve the cabbage with a small bowl of sugar at the table.
Store in refrigerator and microwave to rewarm the next day. Since one cabbage tends to make a lot you’re bound to have leftovers. This is a good deal, because you won’t have to think about what vegetable to serve with your next meal!